Sunday 20 September 2015

school

Today I'm going to write about something that might be a little bit more interesting and gives you an idea how it's like here. As the title says, I will tell you about the school. I already told you about my school a few weeks ago in my "first week of school" post but I think now I can tell you a bit more about it, since I've been here for almost two months.
I just start by explaining a typical school day of mine, but keep in mind that all schools here are different.
My first lesson always starts at 1:30 pm. Three times a week I have morning classes, too. Tuesdays I have Handball, Wednesday it's Music and Thursday I have Laboratory and after that Handball again. These classes are always in the morning, which is really annoying but I just have to get used to being in school almost the whole day.
By the way, Laboratory and Handball are the only classes where I'm not wearing my uniform. Furthermore I want to mention that in the gym there are street dogs running around all the time and nobody cares, but it gets annoying when they start stealing the balls or pee onto the floor. Oh, and another thing that is unusual (for me), is that the pupils wear the shoes they wear on the street in the gym and don't change them.
But let's get finally started. Usually my school day is like this:
We (my family) eat lunch together at home and after that I get ready and change into my uniform (I still don't have the right trousers). My host sister and I leave about two minutes before school starts. The teachers are always late themselves so it doesn't make a big difference, if we come also a bit too late. The school itself is really small compared to the schools in Germany, that's why the 1st to 3rd grade have classes in the morning and the 4th to 6th grade in the evening (I'm in 5th grade by the way). I talked to a girl in my class and she said that for her it is a very big school, while it is really small for me. When we arrive, all the tables and chairs are pushed together and the students have to push them apart. I don't really have a table so every school day starts with looking for a table and a chair in the room that nobody needs so I have a place to sit. I think that's not the best situation, because it gives me the feeling that they see me as a person that is gone soon anyways... Every morning a man enters the class room to check who is missing. We are about 40 pupils, which is a lot in my opinion. Teachers here of course are respected by the pupils, but they are more like friends. Of course that also depends on the age and some teachers can also be really strict. I haven't really figured out yet how long one lesson is, since they didn't give me a timetable but about every two or two and a half hours we have a break. I realised that the first break of the day is a bit shorter than the others. During the break we just sit outside and enjoy the sun or eat something. Most times they eat really unhealthy things, which they can buy at the schools kiosk. But you can also get fruits there, for example an apple costs about 0.45 Euro. After the bell rings, everybody just continues what they just did and waits a few minutes before they go back to the classroom. I'm really bored in school, because I can't really do a lot, so I'm always reading or use the free wifi (if it works). My school day always ends at 6:30 or 7:10, which I don't really like and I'm glad that it's not like that in Germany.
After school I directly go home and we relax with some mate and dulce de leche.
I hope I was able to give you an insight into my typical school day. All in all I have to say, that I don't really like it and I definitely prefer the German school system. Since my language skills aren't really good yet, I can't tell you a lot about the lessons themselves.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask them.
Cara


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!